Friday 21 March 2014

Day Fourteen

Day fourteen has thus far been taken up with bending .3mm copper rod, trying to make that latch for that hatch. No luck with the metal rod so I stretch some sprue and try that, and it works first time. So now I have my latch part and all I need is a block to mount it on, ideally from kit plastic so it will be easy to glue.

But a little slip with the tweezers and it's gone, on the carpet like many before it.
I get it together finally.
Trial run for the steel bracket inside the muffler. I cut out the strips and roll them with a selection of tools' handles.
It's promising but there will be more of them; I want three that fit perfectly. The ends of these strips need to be cut at an angle, not square, to account for the tube having been reamed out. Easy enough cutting bits of metal strip. It's all going to be black as night in there, of course.






So far it's a really nice bit of scratchbuilding; should I put that dent in it or not? There is always the risk it will disintegrate.






































And this is good enough. Make that collar and bolt and it's done.

No harm, at this point, in a bit of paint to let me see where I'm at.
A basic sort of gunmetal is as good as anything to start off with such a part, that is going to get special treatment rust-wise. I did my best to get these inside details right and even though they are really quite crude I have a lot of leeway here because of the sort of painting and of course because they are partially in darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment